By this time the city was being referred as Vijapur or Bijapur.In 1518, the Bahmani Sultanate split into five splinter states known as the Deccan sultanates, one of which was Bijapur, ruled by the kings of the Adil Shahi dynasty (1490–1686).Within the citadel are the remains of both Hindu temples and old mosques, which prove that Bijapur was an important town.
By the late 13th century, the area had come under the influence of the Khilji Sultanate.
In 1347, the area was conquered by the Bahmani Sultanate of Gulbarga.
After the 1818 defeat of the Peshwa by the British in the Third Anglo-Maratha War, Bijapur passed into the hands of the British East India Company, and was assigned to the princely state of Satara.
In 1848 the territory of Satara, along with Bijapur, was annexed to Britain's Bombay Presidency when the last ruler died without a male heir.
The whole is surrounded by a deep moat 30 to 40 ft (10 to 12 m) broad.
Inside these walls the Bijapur kings bade defiance to all comers.
The city of Bijapur owes much of its greatness to Yusuf Adil Shah, the founder of the independent Bijapur Sultanate.
The rule of this dynasty ended in 1686, when Bijapur was conquered by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.
In 1724 the Nizam of Hyderabad established his independence in the Deccan, and included Bijapur within his dominions.
In 1760, the Nizam suffered a defeat by the Marathas, and ceded the region of Bijapur to the Maratha Peshwa.
In addition there are ten others at the various gateways.